Thursday, May 28, 2009

How's That Working Out for You?

For those who, somehow, might not have kept track of every detail of my life, my master's program requires a full time summer internship, and I'm at one of the best my program offers: blood epidemiology at the Blood Systems Research Institute in San Francisco.

The Beast hooked up with Beauty (not that I'm Beauty, but it's a handy allegory) because he was a nice guy, not because he was handsome. When I ranked this internship top of my choices, I knew it would be interesting, and it is. They've got some great projects for me to take on, and have encouraged me to do nothing but read read read for the first two weeks to get some foundation information. Yesterday I spent the whole day learning about hepatitis C virus, today will be all about genetics. Interspersed with my reading are bouts of looking at data, one of my favorite things, and seminars on all manner of interesting topics.

But Beauty got some surprises she hadn't bargained for when that Beast turned into a handsome prince. Interns at BSRI always publish, how cool is that? And at my "intake" meeting, I found out I have full benefits for the whole family for the summer at the astonishing cost of $82.83 per month (saving us about $1100 per month). The dreadful commute I anticipated has turned out to be quite pleasant and predictable (I will write a lot about San Francisco this summer). And the people are just so nice, I could go on and on. Whereas my last job was all about The Drama, these folks are as down to earth as Minnesota farmers.

And there's free tea. I like that a lot, too.

1 comment:

Stefaneener said...

Hooray! Hooray for you. And for them, of course. It's not every day that your new intern is a fairy tale come true.

See you tomorrow.

PS my secret word is "dedledly" which is probably about the kind of Very Bad Viruses you're reading about!