Friday, May 02, 2008

Spanish Rice for a Crowd

This is a public service. I'm cooking for the kids' school today, and spent hours looking up large scale Spanish Rice recipes on Google yesterday, to no avail. Apparently if people are going to make Spanish rice for a large group, they're going to do something awful like bake it without sauteeing or add olives or raisins(!). And I know from experience that you can't just scale up rice recipes...

So after several trials and several errors, I give you Spanish Rice for 15 to 20.

1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 cups long grain white rice
3 onions, chopped small
1 to 2 green bell peppers, chopped small
3T taco seasoning or chili powder
1T salt (omit if using taco seasoning)
1 26oz can or box of chopped tomatoes
1 small can diced green chilis
5 cups water

Heat up the oil in a large dutch oven, saute rice, onions and bell peppers until rice is browned and onions are translucent. This takes forever, so be patient and don't start reading email and forget to stir (error #1).

Add the rest of ingredients and bring to boil. Simmer on LOW (simmering on almost low was error #2) for 30 minutes and shout, "ole!"

The above serves 15 as an only side dish, or 20 to 25 if there are several sides on a traditional Mexican buffet.

I made four batches and combined them in 2 catering trays and held in a 175 degree oven for an hour, aiming to serve about 75. If you had a bigger pot, like a restaurant sized kettle, you could double, but reduce the water by one cup.

6 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Well, that should come in handy.

No, seriously, when I was a cook for a big group for a summer thingy, I got a food service cookbook out of the university library. Soup for 40? No problem. Cornbread for a crowd? Had it.

It's fun.
The kids are lucky to have you, I tell you. . .

Anonymous said...

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I also know from experience you can't just double or triple a regular recipe. I was planning to just make 3 separate batches tomorrow, but this will be much easier!

jason said...

I've had same trouble with my large scale spanish rice recipe google hunt. one recipe wanted me to add bacon bits. oh heck no. wish me luck, its for my wife's birthday party. thanks for a real recipe.

Anonymous said...

I found your recipe first in what I thought was going be a long search and you make it so close to my original recipe that I am beside myself. I have to make spanish rice for a couples wedding shower for 50 tonight and I've been stressing out about it for days. I'll let you know how it turns out! JUJU

Maria said...

Thank you so much! I am so glad you posted this...doing dinner for 25 on Monday night...I saw that same recipe Jason saw,lol,what was up with that? Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

JUJU is back to report. I had numerous people ask for my rice recipe. (So you know it was a hit!) I also wanted to tell you how I tweaked the recipe a bit. I added fresh chopped roma tomatoes (3 avg. size)seeds and all after the onions and bell peppers had time to hang out for a couple of minutes while I stirred. Then instead of all water I used a box (4 cups) of chicken broth plus one cup of water. Thanks again for keeping my reputation as a decent cook in tact! JUJU